Squash Casserole is actually summer season on a plate.
This simple aspect dish has each zucchini and yellow summer season squash topped with a crispy breadcrumb layer.
Fast to whip up and ideal for any meal, this dish could have everybody asking for seconds.
Elements in a Squash Casserole
Whereas some recipes include components and fillers like eggs and bread crumbs, this squash casserole recipe focusses on the squash itself.
- Onion: Onion provides taste to this dish; stir in a bit little bit of garlic if you happen to’d like.
- Squash: Contemporary yellow squash and zucchini are the celebs right here. Select ones which are agency and brilliant in shade for one of the best style and texture.
- Topping: butter, seasoned bread crumbs, and cheddar cheese add an ideal crisp topping to this recipe. Swap the bread crumbs for Panko breadcrumbs or crushed Ritz crackers or saltines to make a buttery cracker topping. Different cheeses similar to Gruyere or Monterey jack can be utilized on this recipe.
- Optionally available Add-Ins: crimson or inexperienced bell peppers, cheeses, garlic, tomatoes
Make It Your Means
This yellow & zucchini squash casserole will be made to your desire so far as texture.
For a softer casserole, slice the zucchini a bit thinner, and when sauteeing within the frying pan, cook dinner it a bit bit longer so it’s tender-crisp however a bit on the softer aspect.
For tender-crisp squash, hold the zucchini at 1/4″ thickness. Make certain you don’t overcook it.
Easy methods to Make Squash Casserole
- Preparation: Slice up the onion and squash per the recipe beneath.
- Cook dinner: Sauté the onion in butter and olive oil till tender, then add the squash and seasonings.
- Assemble: Place the cooked squash and onions right into a greased casserole dish and prime it with a mix of breadcrumbs, melted butter, and cheese.
- Bake: Pop the casserole within the oven till the squash is tender and the topping is golden, often round 35-40 minutes. Take pleasure in scorching!
- Place squash and onions upright (standing on the sting) in a casserole dish. Simply tucke the onions into the squash combination.
Buttered bread crumbs cook dinner rapidly, so control the casserole. If the crumbs are browned earlier than the casserole is completed cooking, cowl loosely with foil.
Can It Be Reheated?
Zucchini squash casserole tastes greatest when served contemporary from the oven however after all it may be reheated.
Retailer leftover squash casserole tightly lined within the fridge for as much as 4 days. The breadcrumbs received’t be as crisp however the squash itself will nonetheless style scrumptious!
To reheat bake till scorching (or you possibly can reheat within the microwave). Then activate the broiler aspect and put the heated casserole beneath the broiler for a couple of minutes of cooking to re-crisp the bread crumbs. Higher but, make a contemporary batch of crumbs and prime the leftovers with these.
Zucchini squash casserole pairs properly with nearly any meaty predominant dish. Serve it with roasted or grilled chicken, barbecued ribs or hamburgers. It additionally goes nice with Salisbury steak or pork chops with mushroom gravy.
Summer season Veggie Sides
Straightforward Squash Casserole
Slices of tender zucchini and yellow squash meld with a crunchy breadcrumb topping for a dish so satisfying and filling that you could even serve it as an entrée.
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Slice squash/zucchini into ¼-inch slices.
In a big skillet over medium warmth, cook dinner the onion in butter and oil till tender. Incrase the warmth to medium-high and add the squash, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cook dinner for five to six minutes or simply till tender crisp.
In a greased 2 qt casserole dish, organize the squash and onions so the squash is standing on its aspect.
Mix breadcrumbs, cheeses, and melted butter in a small dish. Sprinkle over squash.
Bake 35-40 minutes or till squash is tender.
- For crisper squash minimize it thicker, for softer squash, minimize it thinner.
- To maintain the squash from releasing extra liquid, sauté in olive oil till barely softened.
Energy: 157 | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 4g | Fats: 8g | Saturated Fats: 4g | Ldl cholesterol: 18mg | Sodium: 179mg | Potassium: 431mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 12257IU | Vitamin C: 25mg | Calcium: 129mg | Iron: 1mg
Vitamin info offered is an estimate and can range based mostly on cooking strategies and types of substances used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content material and images are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is each inspired and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.