That is an additional quick weeknight model of a conventional Shepherd’s Pie recipe.
Shepherd’s Pie is an Irish dish with a base of saucy floor lamb and greens (though many individuals use beef). It’s all topped with mashed potato crust and baked till bubbly.
Straightforward and attractive, all yr spherical!
Elements for Shepherd’s Pie
Shepherd’s Pie may be ready contemporary nevertheless it’s additionally an effective way to make use of up any leftover meat, veggies, gravy, or mashed potatoes.
- Floor Meat – Lamb is conventional however you should use any floor meat on this recipe (I most frequently use floor beef). Leftover roast works too!
- Greens – Frozen combined greens make prep fast and simple however leftover roasted veggies work completely too. If utilizing contemporary, steam them till tender earlier than including.
- Sauce – Shepherd’s Pie is so versatile, I’ve given a few shortcut sauces within the recipe under however you should use leftover gravy (or gravy combine), tomato sauce… the sky is the restrict right here.
- Mashed Potatoes – Conventional mashed are what I most frequently use however garlic mashed potatoes add nice taste to this dish! If you’re in a rush, you should use store-bought mashed potatoes
Find out how to Make Shepherd’s Pie
- Make Mashed Potatoes: In case you have mashed potatoes use them! If not, make homemade mashed potatoes or purchase packaged. Even tater tots on high make a superb topping!
- Brown Meat: Brown lamb (or one other sort of floor meat like beef) in a skillet with onion. If utilizing contemporary veggies, they are often diced and cooked together with the meat and onion.
- Add Sauce: Stir within the seasonings and sauce per the recipe under (in the event you’d like a from scratch shepherd’s pie, this is the recipe we use!). Stir within the veggies.
- Layer and Bake: Pile the potatoes on high and a sprinkle of cheese or a brush of butter in the event you’d like!
Prep Forward and Suggestions for Shepherd’s Pie
You’ll love how simple this dish is. It may be made a day upfront, which makes dinner prep simpler.
- Layering After prepping the meat combination, let it cool after which chill it within the fridge for 20 minutes. This may assist preserve the mashed potato layer separated.
- Prep Forward Prep and assemble as much as at some point upfront and refrigerate. Let it come to room temperature Half-hour earlier than baking.
- Fast Clear Up If the baking dish may be very full, place it on a parchment-lined baking sheet to keep away from any juices spilling into the underside of the oven.
- To Freeze Earlier than Baking
- Cool fully. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap after which in foil. Freeze.
- Thaw in a single day within the fridge. Bake for 45 minutes coated and quarter-hour uncovered
Shepherd’s Pie is a scrumptious combo of floor lamb (though many individuals use beef) that has been cooked with greens in a gravy or sauce. The lamb combination is then topped with a crust of creamy mashed potatoes.
This casserole is historically made with floor lamb. Many individuals make this recipe with floor beef nevertheless, in the event you use floor beef it’s really referred to as Cottage Pie! (You can too exchange the meat for a vegetarian lentil version).
Both method, this crustless meat pie is topped with creamy mashed potatoes and baked till bubbly.
Historically, a Shepherd’s Pie will not be topped with cheese.
That being mentioned, cheese is my love language so I like so as to add a little bit bit on high. When you’d favor, brush the potatoes with a little bit little bit of butter and skip the cheese.
Bake the shepherd’s pie recipe under for 25-Half-hour. When you’ve made it forward of time and it’s chilly from being within the fridge, bake it a bit longer, about 30-35 minutes.
Completely!! Make mashed sweet potatoes utilizing this recipe and pile them excessive!
Serve this With…
And end the meal with a belly-warming Irish Coffee!
Extra St. Patrick’s Day Favorites
Straightforward Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
Shepherd’s Pie is a conventional Irish dish made with floor lamb, peas, and carrots, topped with mashed potatoes & cheddar cheese.
Preheat oven to 400°F.
In a big skillet or Dutch oven, prepare dinner lamb (or beef), onion, and garlic over medium warmth till no pink stays. Drain any fats.
Stir in combined greens, soup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, basil, and pepper.
Unfold into the underside of a 3 quart or 9×13 inch casserole dish.
Spoon mashed potatoes over high and sprinkle with cheese if utilizing.
Baked for 25-Half-hour or till bubbly.
It is a shortcut recipe, view our from scratch shepherd’s pie recipe right here.
Substitute the tomato soup on this recipe for one of many following:
- 10.5 oz of cream of mushroom soup
- 1 packet of gravy combine ready as directed and simmered till thickened
- leftover selfmade beef gravy.
Energy: 648 | Carbohydrates: 85g | Protein: 22g | Fats: 24g | Saturated Fats: 11g | Ldl cholesterol: 74mg | Sodium: 730mg | Potassium: 916mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 47g | Vitamin A: 2775IU | Vitamin C: 37mg | Calcium: 180mg | Iron: 2.5mg
Diet info offered is an estimate and can fluctuate based mostly on cooking strategies and types of substances used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content material and pictures are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is each inspired and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Why is it referred to as Shepherd’s Pie?
Initially a meat pie made with minced (or floor) meat and mashed potatoes was referred to as a Cottage Pie (and it was even generally made with pastry a few years in the past). It is vitally standard in Eire, Scotland, and England as effectively! Within the late 1800s, the pie was named Shepherd’s Pie if made with lamb (for the reason that shepherd sorted the sheep) and if made with beef it was referred to as Cottage Pie.
Whatever the title, this recipe is a traditional Shepherd’s Pie recipe loaded with taste and the right make-ahead meal to serve all yr lengthy!