When you’ve ever needed to make a elaborate dessert to wow your company, baked Alaska recipe is simply what you want!
Whereas it takes a little bit of time, it’s tremendous easy to make with ready-made pound cake and Neapolitan ice cream coated in fluffy meringue.
It’s not solely restaurant-worthy, it’s Insta-worthy, too!
What’s Baked Alaska?
- Simply whip up this scrumptious showstopper at dwelling, since Ben & Jerry’s ice cream model of baked Alaska has been retired!
- Make forward and freeze for upcoming holidays or last-minute celebrations.
- This straightforward recipe will make you appear to be a professional pastry chef.
- It’s customizable; use your favourite taste of pound cake and ice cream!
Components in Baked Alaska
- Ice Cream – Select Neapolitan ice cream for chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla or swap it in your favourite taste. Gently combine softened ice cream to swirl collectively.
- Pound Cake – Use dense pound cake to create a protecting air barrier. The bottom must be round 1-inch thick. Whereas I exploit bought pound cake, homemade pound cake works properly too. As soon as baked, reduce it to suit the underside of the bowl for the baked Alaska.
- Meringue: Made with egg whites and sugar, meringue creates a fluffy, protecting layer that insulates baked Alaska and retains the ice cream from melting. Unfold it evenly and dab it with the again of a spoon to create these fairly golden peaks.
- Variations: Play with completely different cake and ice cream combos. Use vanilla ice cream with dried fruits and nuts like pistachios, or strive chocolate ice cream with cookie crumbles. Change the pound cake with a brownie base should you’d desire.
The right way to Make Baked Alaska
- Combine softened ice cream in a bowl, ensure there aren’t any air bubbles. Cowl the highest of the bowl with cake slices, urgent the cake into the smooth ice cream. Cowl and freeze.
- Put together the meringue per the recipe directions beneath.
- Invert the frozen cake onto a baking sheet. Cowl with meringue and freeze for as much as 24 hours.
- Bake till the meringue is golden. Let relaxation earlier than slicing.
PRO TIP: A small kitchen torch (the sort used for crème brule) additionally works should you don’t wish to warmth the oven.
What’s baked Alaska?
Created to honor Alaska’s induction to the US in 1867, baked Alaska is made by freezing ice cream on a layer of cake after which coating it with meringue earlier than it’s baked within the oven.
The meringue insulates the ice cream, protecting it from melting because it bakes.
Sure, undoubtedly. Put together and freeze the cake and ice cream base for up to a couple months so long as it’s tightly wrapped! Put together the meringue if you’re able to bake!
Professional Ideas for Baked Alaska
- Line the bowl with a bit of plastic wrap or a humid piece of parchment paper for straightforward removing.
- Be sure that every step is frozen stable for one of the best outcomes.
- For the merinuge use room-temperature eggs (massive eggs) and make sure the cream of tartar is recent.
- Be sure that there isn’t a fats, residual oils or yolks within the egg whites or they received’t whip correctly.
- Make sure the oven is preheated earlier than baking.
- Drizzle with strawberry sauce, hot fudge, or caramel.
To Retailer: Maintain leftover baked Alaska coated within the freezer till able to get pleasure from once more!
Did your loved ones love this Simple Baked Alaska? Go away us a ranking and a remark beneath!
Simple Baked Alaska
Shock and delight your company with a dessert that is each easy to make and spectacular!
Line a 3 qt bowl with plastic wrap. Scoop the marginally softened neapolitan ice cream into the bowl, mixing the colours as you go. Press down firmly to make sure there aren’t any gaps or air bubbles.
Prime the ice cream within the bowl with 1-inch thick pound cake slices, trimming them as wanted to create a cosy match. Gently press the cake into the smooth ice cream. Cowl securely and freeze for not less than 3 hours or as much as 3 months if making ready forward.
In a big mixing bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar on excessive velocity till foamy, roughly 3 minutes. Progressively add sugar, persevering with to beat till stiff peaks type.
Take away frozen ice cream from the freezer and use the plastic wrap to elevate it from the bowl. Inver the cake onto a baking sheet and unfold the meringue over the ice cream. Use the again of a spoon to dab the meringue and create little peaks.
Place uncovered within the freezer for not less than 1 hour or as much as 24 hours.
Preheat the oven to 500°F and place the dessert within the oven for 3 to five minutes or till the meringue is flippantly golden brown.
Enable the Baked Alaska to relaxation for five minutes, then slice and luxuriate in.
Energy: 562 | Carbohydrates: 91g | Protein: 13g | Fats: 15g | Saturated Fats: 9g | Ldl cholesterol: 58mg | Sodium: 144mg | Potassium: 371mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 47g | Vitamin A: 555IU | Vitamin C: 0.8mg | Calcium: 179mg | Iron: 0.6mg
Vitamin data offered is an estimate and can range primarily based on cooking strategies and types of elements used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content material and pictures are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is each inspired and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.